Frequently Asked Questions

What is a mobile speech pathology service?

A mobile speech pathology service is the delivery of service by a qualified practising speech pathologist in an environment that best suits you and your family’s needs (e.g. your home).

Do you see children at a day care or kindergarten centre?

At present, CBPSPS are not currently providing services at day care centres or kindergarten centres. Children are seen in their homes for ease of access for families, and can do after hours times on special request. Please contact on 0422 616 822 for availability.

What if I do not live in the 20km radius?

Telehealth services are provided to families who live past the 20km radius of Rocklea suburb of Brisbane. It will be at the clinician’s discretion if they are willing to drive 1-2km beyond the 20km radius.

How much do I pay for a session?

Please contact or phone 0422 616 822 for a current fee schedule.

How do I pay?

Payment is required at time of consultation and a remote EFTPOS terminal is available for your convenience, allowing processing of debit and credit cards (Visa and Mastercard only). Please note that there is a 1.0% fee incurred when processing a credit card transaction.

If concerns arise and cannot pay at point of service, an electronic funds transfer (EFT) is required to be deposited within 48 hours of the speech pathology service.

Consumers with Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) registration are not required to pay as DVA attends to payment on behalf of the consumer.

Consumers who are registered with NDIS and are self managed, are required to pay at point of service via the EFTPOS terminal provided.

Do I need a referral?

Self-referrals, referrals via day care centres, kindergartens, aged care facilities, general practitioners and other health professionals are accepted.

Consumers eligible for Medicare – Chronic Disease Management Plan speech pathology services require a referral via a General Practitioner. Click on the link below for information regarding the Chronic Disease Management eligibility requirements.

Consumers with a Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) Gold card require a referral via a General Practitioner.

How long is a session?

This will depend on a variety of factors:

  • age of client (e.g. toddler versus adult)
  • purpose of session for child or adult (e.g. assessment versus therapy)
  • ability to attend to tasks without distraction

There are 45 minute and 60 minute sessions available.

What should I do if I need to cancel the appointment?

It is understandable that sometimes you need to cancel an appointment due to circumstances out of your control. It is important that you notify our Practice Co-ordinator on 0422616822, at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled appointment.

A fee may be incurred if Administration is not notified within this timeframe. Please ask about the cancellation policy on discussion with our Practice Co-ordinator.

Is my school aged/adolescent child eligible for services?

Chanelle Buck Speech Pathology Services are predominantly provided to children aged 0-6 years and adults 18+ years. However, please do not hesitate to contact the practice, we may be able to assist in your enquiry with your school aged child or adolescent.

Can I claim speech pathology services through my private health insurance?

Please check with your private health insurance provider to determine whether you are entitled to a rebate for speech pathology services. A detailed receipt post transaction is provided for your records to assist in claiming services.

Do you see clients with NDIS funding?

This depends on the level of funding. Consumers who are managed by the NDIA, require an NDIS registered speech pathologist. If a person has NDIS funding and is plan-managed by a third party or self-manages the funds, Chanelle may be able to see that person. Chanelle is currently only seeing families with NDIS funding who are either self-managed or plan-managed. Please query further via the contact page.

How do I know if my child needs speech therapy?

You may or may not notice the following during your child’s play, interaction with yourself/your child’s peers and at mealtimes:

  • Does not babble or attempt to talk by one year of age
  • No words produced by 16 months
  • Delayed development of vocabulary, concepts and grammar
  • Does not talk or uses more gestures than words by 2 years of age
  • Limited sound repertoire
  • Leaving off first and/or last sound of a word
  • Inconsistent sound errors
  • Speech is difficult for strangers to understand
  • Increased frustration during communication attempts
  • Increased need for repetition for response to commands, questions
  • Decreased/lack of appropriate play skills
  • Decreased interest in social situations by age 24 months
  • Decreased eye contact
  • Delayed response time
  • Lack of imitation skills
  • Decreased need to communicate wants and needs to others
  • Difficulty with transitions
  • Perseverative or repetitive behaviours
  • Loss of skills previously mastered
  • Is a fussy eater and only eats certain types of foods
  • Coughs when drinking water or other thin liquids (e.g. juice, milk)
  • Has difficulty chewing harder textures
  • Has a persistent husky voice unrelated to sickness
  • Stutters on the first sound of words
  • Has been stuttering for more than 6 months

It is encouraged that you contact a speech pathologist as soon as you notice one or more of these signs. Early intervention assists in improving development of speech, language and feeding skills.

How do I know if someone has a swallowing problem?

Signs of having difficulty with swallowing include:

  • difficulty chewing hard foods
  • coughing straight after swallowing food, fluid or own saliva
  • refusal to eat certain textures of food
  • pain on swallowing (odynophagia)
  • being unable to swallow
  • sensation of food getting stuck in throat/chest (behind sternum)
  • drooling
  • wet/gurgly sounding voice after swallowing

If you notice any of these signs, do not hesitate to contact a speech pathologist. These are signs that should be addressed immediately.

Speech Pathology Australia provides some easy to read fact sheets on speech language pathology that can be viewed on their official website: